Does a the thought of doing a 10 day juice fast seem like more than you can handle? Why not try a modified juice fast!
The modified juice fast or modified juice cleanse is a great way to test the waters and gain some confidence in starting a new healthy eating routine.
So what is a modified juice fast? Basically the concept involves changing the juice fast to fit your nutritional and emotional needs by adding some solid foods and/or supplements. This type of cleansing also modifies the rate at which your body will detox and eliminate toxins.
I’ll explain the details of this cleanse below but first….
Who should do a modified juice fast?
Are you wondering if this might be for you? Have you wanted to start a juice cleanse but keep putting it off? Do you think you are too busy to do a long term fast? Is your situation on this list?
- Procrastination in getting started
- Too busy to fit anything more into your schedule
- Worried about not getting enough calories on a juice cleanse
- Have a weakened immune system
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Emotionally not ready to handle the detox process
Are any of these situations familiar to you? If you want to begin a healthy lifestyle but any of these apply to you, you may be a good candidate for the Modified Juice Fast. Keep reading.
Juicing is still the basis for this cleanse. I recommend you drink juice first thing in the morning just like a regular juice cleanse. Depending on your situation you may modify the cleanse in any one of these ways.
- Continue drinking juice throughout the day until dinner. For dinner eat simple, whole, and natural foods. Fresh steamed vegetables, brown rice and a green salad (no store bought dressing) are good choices. Do not eat dairy, meats, or caffeine on this cleanse. Keep portions small.
- Drink a combination of juices and smoothies. The same ingredients can go into your smoothies as in your juice. You’ll need a blender. Peel all your vegetables and fruits. The skins will wear down your blade unless you have a heavy duty blender such as a Vitamix. You may need to add filtered water to make the consistency drinkable.
- Add supplements to your juices. There are many powdered supplements available such as green whole food supplements, protein powders, ground chia or flax seeds which you can add to your juices for additional nutrition and calorie boosts. Some people don’t consider this a modification of the juice fast but rather an essential part of a cleanse.
Is It Right For You?
But wait. You may be asking yourself, “Isn’t this cheating?” or “Will I really get results from this?” or “Is this really detoxing?” The real answer to these questions sits only within each person. You will gain some healthy benefits from any of these modifications though perhaps not as noticeable, as with a full juice cleanse. You may not lose as much weight for instance.
The point of modifying the process is to make cleansing achievable for anyone. If you are still on the fence about starting a juice fast you should consider this.
Would you ever try a modified juice cleanse, especially if it was your first time? Let us know in the comments below. And please share this article with a friend who may find it useful.