Are you suffering from a chronic health condition? Inflammation could be the cause. The good news is that you can usually reduce chronic inflammation naturally.
Inflammation is the body’s way of responding to physical stress and this is designed to be a good thing. For instance, when you get a cold, the body reacts by producing a fever (inflammation) to protect the body and kill off any infection. After the infection is gone, the body returns to a normal state. The same is true for a physical injury. The body responds with swelling, redness, and pain as a healing response.
However, if the body is exposed to continual stress or has a compromised immune system, the body is put into a state of chronic low-grade inflammation.
Inflammation Can Cause Damage
Chronic, persistent inflammation may actually damage the body and cause illness. It is linked to a number of chronic diseases such as arthritis, heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, bacterial and viral infections, and candidiasis.
Key Factors Contributing to Inflammation
A number of things contribute to chronic inflammation. Most notably are:
- lack of exercise
- exposure to toxins
- dietary choices (too many of the wrong foods).
Being overweight increases stress in the entire body including your joints, and the circulatory and immune systems. We have the ability to control some of the factors that lead to chronic inflammation and disease. The good news is that the proper diet can help you to lose weight and reduce the stress it causes on your body. And yes, juicing can help!
Prevent inflammation with natural foods
Many foods, especially fruits and vegetables, help reduce and fight inflammation. Here is a list of 10 natural foods you should be eating. You’ll notice a lot of brightly colored foods on this list because they have the most anti-inflammatory compounds.
1. Broccoli provides an excellent source of vitamins C and K, calcium and beta-carotene. It is one of the best anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer foods available. When steamed broccoli has cholesterol lowering benefits.
2. Spinach is a nutritent rich green vegetable providing ample amounts of vitamin K, A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, and much more. Spinach contains a type of omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which researchers have discovered reduces a variety of inflammatory cytokines by as much as 43%.
3. Sweet potato is top rated for its beta carotene content. Its antioxidant properties may be especially beneficial for the digestive tract. Steaming sweet potatoes may provide some extra benefits.
4. Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain which helps to break down proteins, aid digestion, reduce swelling, and improve blood circulation. Pineapple also contains significant amounts of vitamin C and manganese.
5. Papaya is a sweet tropical fruit that has papain, an enzyme similar to bromelain (found in pineapple). It is a digestive aid and also helps build immunity because of its large amounts of vitamin C, A, and E.
6. Blueberries have one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all foods. They are low on the glycemic index and benefit both the nervous system and the brain (memory).
7. Cherries may reduce blood vessel inflammation according to the University of Michigan Cardioprotection Research Laboratory. This antioxidant rich fruit may ease pain and is often recommended for treating symptoms of gout.
8. Ginger has been used for centuries for its all around medicinal properities. It aids digestion, helps alleviate arthritis, and builds the immune system. Ginger is a key component to many healthy juice recipes.
9. Turmeric is a bright orange root plant used as a spice. It is often used in powder form in Asian curry recipes. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. Turmeric helps to heal wounds and helps prevent progression of inflammatory diseases. Similar to ginger,the root can be juiced. Try this turmeric juice recipe from Tera Warner.
10. Garlic has so many benefits on the body. It is beneficial for heart health and may help lower blood pressure and LDL. Garlic has the ability to stimulate the lymphatic system which eliminates toxins from the body. This is an whole body anti-inflammatory food.
Juicing To Help Reduce Inflammation
The process of juicing breaks the cell walls of fruits and vegetables to release the nutrients that reduce inflammation. Once released, these nutrients are able to be absorbed quickly by the body. You may even feel the benefits in as little as 10 minutes.
All of the foods in this top ten list can be juiced or otherwise added to your daily diet. Which ones have you tried? Answer in the comments below.sources: http://bodyecology.com/articles/top_ten_foods_that_prevent_inflammation.php#.UCPb5OmXQmU
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21246089/#.UCPggumXQmU http://myhealingkitchen.com/medical-conditions/arthritis/arthritis-make-it-better/boost-arthritis-pain-relief-with-spinach/ http://whfoods.com/